Saturday, May 23, 2009

Reader's Diary: Three books in as many days!

I finished The Book of Story Beginnings! Finally! It took me long enough, but I'm finally done, and it was worth it. Perhaps not as climactic as I wanted, but it was certainly a good narrative. More coming up in the book review.

I also, for the first time in my life, completed a novel in one sitting. I've never done that before, but Bridge to Terabithia was one of those books that grabs you in the beginning, and just strings you along in a peaceful, gentle sort of way until it brings you to the climax with a jolt, then concludes with a bittersweet, hopeful sort of end. It was great to just sit there on my couch and not move for three hours. I loved Terabithia, too, which made it even better.

Now I'm tackling Pendragon: The Merchant of Death by D.J. MacHale, and wow, is it great! It's the first fantasy series I've picked up in a long time, and the first children's fantasy I've read since The Chronicles of Narnia. MacHale's language is rich and colorful and just picks you up out of your seat on the first sentence: "I hope you're reading this, Mark." I got shivers....

Worth by A. LaFaye is also stunning in narrative. It just sucked me in quick and hasn't let go since. I can't wait to finish this one; thankfully it's relatively short, so I should be able to finish it next time I have a free hour or so. I definitely recommend this one to all writers just because of LaFaye's writing style: it's delectable.

Sis and I started The Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles this week. Yes, I know - the title alone is enough to send you into a giggle fit. And what's even more intriguing is the authoress: Julie [Andrews] Edwards.... Otherwise known as Mary Poppins.

One other I'll mention: Mr. Was. One word: creepy. This book's sure to be a thriller, but with the creepiness that frightens kids, not adults. Which in some ways can be worse....

So, to read this week:
- Worth by A. LaFaye
- Mr. Was by Pete Hautman
- Pendragon: The Merchant of Death by D.J. MacHale

0 comments: