Saturday, July 4, 2009

Book Review: Worth by A. LaFaye

Genre: juvenile, drama
Pages: 160
First Published: 2004
Personal Rating: Sloop

I love symbolism in literature, and this one's chock full. Worth is not only the hooking title of this book, it's the name of the antagonist and conflict character. After suffering a crippling accident and no longer able to help his father on the farm or be of much use to his mother, Nathaniel is left wondering if his life is worth anything at all, to anyone...and then John Worth comes in. John is an orphan boy brought in from an orphan train to help out in place of Nathaniel, but he doesn't see it that way. As Nate's father grows closer and closer to John and farther and farther away from his own son, Nate resents this uneducated sissy-boy...and himself. How much is he worth after all? And what does it really mean to have a family?

This is a poignant story of boyhood, family life, and the challenges to recovering our self-esteem. I was very touched by the realism in Nathaniel's voice as he narrates his story; he is torn between hating his parents for refusing to acknowledge his injuries and wanting to melt into a pool of tears everytime he needs their help. He's not sure whether he's grateful for John's help around the farm or whether he wants to punch his lights out for stealing the affections of his father. And most of all, he's not sure whether to blame himself for his accident, or God, or his father.

Worth doesn't offer answers to any of life's questions, but it does present a solution to pain and hate: love, self-worth, and family.

2 comments:

Kristen said...

I still haven't read this one, but I need to - all of the fifth graders at my school read it. :) I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Anonymous said...

This looks like a beautiful read. I like the review and the cover really caught my eye.