Friday, September 11, 2009

The Friday 56: Beowulf



Hosted by Tonya from Storytime!

Rules:
* Grab the book nearest you. Right now.
* Turn to page 56.
* Find the fifth sentence.
* Post that sentence (plus one or two others if you like) along with these instructions on your blog or (if you do not have your own blog) in the comments section of this blog.
*Post a link along with your post back to this blog.
* Don't dig for your favorite book, the coolest, the most intellectual. Use the CLOSEST.





This is my first time participating in The Friday 56! I'm looking forward to it!

This week's 56 comes from one of my British Literature texts from last week: the ever-awesomely-epic "Beowulf." This particular translation is by the Seamus Heaney, a writer who has certainly earned my respect as a man dedicated to his trade. I don't think anyone could have translated or retold this story better.

In this section, King Hrothgar is celebrating Beowulf's defeat of the hideous monster, Grendel, and has called "drinks all around!" (Jack Sparrow style, of course). While the Danes and their guests are enjoying their newfound freedom from fear, Hrothgar orders for minstrels and poets to recite for them. One poet recites the tale of Finn and his sons, "unfolding / the tale of the fierce attack in Friesland / where Hnaef, king of the Danes, met death" (1068-69).

"How then could Finn
hold the line
or fight on
to the end with Hengest,
how save
the rump of his force
from that enemy chief?
So a truce was offered
as follows..."


Personally, I loved this version of "Beowulf." You hear such groaning over it from all directions at school, in libraries, and even by bibliophiles, but I loved the opportunity to revisit this incredible story and fall in love with it all over again. I had forgotten how beautiful it really is, and loved the story three times over before we were through with it. (And, of course, it is highly reminiscent of my favorite book ever, The Lord of the Rings...or is it the other way around?)

2 comments:

Suzanne said...

I remember groaning too over reading this in high school but when I took a British Literature class in college I was able to look at it with different eyes and appreciate it much more. Maybe it should be taught more in college instead of high school. I think there's something to be said for experience in some stories.

BTW, thanks for participating! This meme of mine is growing and I'm loving doing it. It's the only thing that's keeping me grounded to my blog right now with everything else going on!

Sweet Vernal Zephyr said...

I am a recently rejuvenated bibliophile and would love to become reacquainted with the classics... I have tried numerous times to get through Journey to the Center of the Earth and falter repeatedly.

Perhaps this translation of Beowulf would be better suited to by brain! LOL Thanks for the great intro!

Miranda