Friday, January 1, 2010

Day 1: Fresh beginnings

So, I have a basic reading idea for January.

The Odyssey translated by S.H. Butcher and A. Lang (my Classic of the Month)
Saving Cicadas by Nicole Seitz (review copy)
The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien (The LotR Read-Along)
I need to find a nonfiction to read, but whatever it is it'll have to be relatively short, as this is a lot of reading for me.

The one thing I'm not going to do in 2010 is punish myself by keeping to a set schedule of weekly/monthly deadlines - just so long as I'm reading every day, and as long as I'm actually finishing books. So, I probably won't be finished with any of these by January 31, but who knows. Either result is acceptable.

I'm also hoping to do a daily or bi-daily recap on what I've read, even though they might be relatively boring. I'm hoping that by doing this, though, I can spark some conversation amongst those that have read the selections previously, and that I can trace certain philosophical and spiritual threads throughout the books as I read. (I've often had times when reading where a particularly intriguing insight strikes me, but then I lose it due to the fact that I didn't write it down. Hopefully daily recaps will help prevent this from happening as much.)

I would like to be more networked as well during 2010. Perhaps asking around for guest posts and joining read-alongs and carnivals will be helpful, plus I get to have a lot of fun getting to know more people throughout the blogging community. I love all the new blogs I've found through A Novel Challenge; I hope to meet many more people!

So, it's on to Book I of Homer's Odyssey; happy New Year, fellow booksters! Dig deep and have a great journey towards the true harbour that is God's Truth. God bless!

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Yay for goals! I have a bunch myself and I hope I can keep up with it all. Happy New Year!