Book-blogger friend Carrie at Reading to Know has tagged me with a very unkind meme on books and bookshelves, started by Eva at A Striped Armchair. How could you do this to me, Carrie?! Making me choose between my favorites!
Anyway, now that the whining is over, here 'tis: "The Bookshelf Meme."
Tell me about the book that has been on your shelves the longest...
This is so unfair, Carrie! I have too many books that have been on my shelf forever!
I'll just have to concede to one that's been there a while.

Like Carrie, I'm a Narnia fan. I've read these through several times through my childhood, and recently I reread The Magician's Nephew for my book club. This is the original set that I had, which is currently now in possession of my sister. (She bought me the new updated version for my birthday last year, so I presented these to her, with all my love.) These are still the best books around. I don't care how old you are....
Tell me about a book that reminds you of something specific in your life (i.e. a person, a place, a time, etc.)...



These books are still the most important, and the most memorable reading experience, for me. Because of these, and Tolkien, and Peter Jackson's work, I determined once and for all that I wanted to be a writer. They made me who I am as a dreamer today. Enough said. (In honesty, I actually have to stop there because if I don't I'll start getting teary-eyed....) Moving on...
Tell me about a book you acquired in some interesting way (gift, serendipity in a used book store, prize, etc.)...

My first and only book swap was with Lisa from Lisa-Writes. It was such fun to email each other and figure out which book we'd like to get from the other. I finally decided on Lisa's copy of Persuasion, and she received a copy of my favorite play, Cyrano de Bergerac. Thanks to Lisa, I now have my first reading challenge book finished! (Except for the last few chapters, anyway.) Thanks, Lisa! I loved this book! And it's a beautiful copy too, isn't it?
Tell me about the most recent addition to your shelves...
I can't. I bought over $100 worth of books the other day...so I'll just mention one or two.

Wow. That's all I have to say. This updated version of Oswald Chambers' book is so incredible, it's difficult to express it. I've been reading this in the morning, before my major bible readings, but it's so hard not to read ahead! Chambers shows so much of Christ in his writings; all of Christ, more of Christ, everything for Christ - that's the entire message of My Utmost for His Highest. I keep praying through each of these, that God would help me to learn from the wisdom of this incredible man, and truly learn to be like Jesus. I'll probably wind up reading this one several times in the near future.

So far, this book is amazing. It's fast-paced, intriguing, and above all - clean! It proves you don't have to have foul language and smut to be a good thriller. Dekker's writing style is absolutely incredible, and had me hooked from the very beginning. I bought all three books in the trilogy, and hope to follow up soon with Red and White. In fact, I can't wait to finish Black so I can get started a.s.a.p.!
Tell me about a book that has been with you to the most places...
Hmmm.... Toughie. Other than my Bible, probably Tolkien's books (see above). I took them everywhere; they were my first "can't-put-this-down-to-save-my-life" books. I even took them with me on the road with my dad, a truck-driver! (I finished The Return of the King while sitting in the front seat of a big rig. I remember that I got chills...and it wasn't because it was cold inside!)
Tell me about a bonus book that doesn't fit any of the above questions...

I literally grew up reading this book. I don't know how many times I read it, or, specifically, why I liked it so much. Perhaps Dahl just knew what he was doing. I still love it.
Now for The Rules:
1. Tag 3-5 people, so the fun keeps going!
2. Leave a comment at the original post at A Striped Armchair, so that Eva can collect everyone’s answers.
3. If you leave a comment and link back to Eva as the meme’s creator, she will enter you in a book giveaway contest! She has a whole shelf devoted to giveaway books that you’ll be able to choose from, or a bookmooch point if you prefer.
4. Remember that this is all about enjoying books as physical objects, so feel free to describe the exact book you’re talking about, down to that warping from being dropped in the bath water...
5. Make the meme more fun with visuals! Covers of the specific edition you’re talking about, photos of your bookshelves, etc.
I tag the hostesses of the following blogs:
1. Should Be Reading
2. A Novel Menagerie
3. My Friend Amy
Okay, Carrie...I survived. Thanks for the fun!

3 comments:
I've never read Charlie and the CHocolate Factory. Hmm.
And I know - it is kinda cruel, isn't it? It's hard to choose favorites between books sometimes.
It was fun to hear you how felt about the LOTR series (albeit briefly).
And lastly - stay tuned! We have another book swap planned for February!
Oh, I love this meme! I may have to steal it. :D
I really, reeeally want to get my hands on that version of the Oswald Chambers book now.
And ah! With all D's been talking about Black, maybe I should look into it too and see what all the fuss is about. ;)
OK... I'm in.
I've subscribed to your posts via the Atom RSS Feed. I'm glad to have met you and look forward to reading your posts!
I may not get to the challenge until the end of the week.
Sheri
Post a Comment