Wednesday, June 24, 2009

The first "Read 'Em Yet?" Wednesday!


Well, here we are, and I'm excited. On "Read 'Em Yet?" Wednesdays, I'll feature a special author, one that I've enjoyed and/or that has influenced me in some way. I get to have a giddy author-talk, and [hopefully] more traffic for my reward.

In turn, you get to discover new authors, have great discussions about your favorite ones, a new weekly event to participate in, and even prizes!

All I ask is that you follow the prompts at the end of the event, and post it on your blog.
How's that for some fun?

So, without further adieu, I present the first "Read 'Em Yet?" Wednesday! Here's to fun times!




ROSEMARY SUTTCLIFF

Born in 1920 in Surrey, Rosemary was the only child of a naval officer. As an invalid, she knew loneliness and isolation, which often seems to permeate her stories. Rosemary suffered from weak legs and ailments her entire life, often feeling socially outcast and alone.

But fortunately for us, Rosemary managed to channel her emotional and physical difficulties into story after story, finally publishing over 40 novels and books. Since her start, Sutcliff has earned the recognition of the best historical fiction writer for children, and has had a loyal following ever since she first put pen to paper, creating her first novel, The Queen Elizabeth Story back in 1950.

Sutcliff's details and historical accuracy, not to mention her inspirational story-telling, garnished her a Carnegie Medal for The Lantern Bearers in 1960.

In the news, several publishers are featuring all new reprints of Sutcliff's most well-known books, including the ever popular Sword at Sunset.



To find out more about Rosemary Sutcliff, browse the links below:

* For a complete bibiliography of Sutcliff's works, visit FantasticFiction's info page.

* Read the 1986 interview with Raymond Thompson from the University of Rochester.

* Sutcliff's memoir, entitled Blue Remembered Hills: A Recollection, is also the name of an honorary blog where you can find book reviews, news reports, biography posts, and updates on reprints of Sutcliff's books.

Blue Remembered Hills: A Recollection


Now for the meme [fun] part...

1. If you have read a book by this author, no matter how many pages it is or how long ago it was that you read it, post about it on your blog. You can give a detailed review, a short synopsis, a few thoughts about the memories associated with it, or simply whether or not you would recommend it to others. It's a book-talk that you design!

2. If you haven't read a book by this author, visit a site like Fantastic Fiction or Goodreads, find a bibiliography of their books, and pick one that sounds interesting to you. Post a picture and/or link of it on your blog, and announce when you plan on reading it (in general; you don't have to give a date or specific time frame).

3. If, for some reason (even after all the fantastic author promotions and giveaways!), you don't plan to read something by this author, still post about it on your blog and why you're not convinced that they're worth a read.

4. Whichever option you choose, be sure to link back here so everyone else can see your answers!

And now...the giveaway!

If you can correctly guess next week's author, you'll receive two originally designed bookmarks from yours truly! Leave a comment with your guess; if there are several correct answers, I'll do a random number drawing to determine the winner. Good luck!



Thanks for playing!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is an awesome meme! thanks for the info on Rosemary Sutcliff!

I did option no. 2 and chose which book I'd like to read by her.

see here

Anonymous said...

*cracks up laughing* this is gonna be out of the blue my guess is Charles Dickens *rofl* that's the first name that popped into my head if I'm right it's a total fluke ok? *LOL*

Michelle said...

I did the second option as well, as I have never heard of Rosemary Sutcliff before today. She sounds fascinating!

http://mastermusingsbymichelle.blogspot.com/2009/06/first-read-em-yet-wednesday.html

As far as next week's author, my guess is Dostoyevsky.

Gavin said...

Great meme. I'll be joining next week. It it Walt Whitman?

Sandra said...

I enjoyed reading about Rosemary, a new author to me. I don't know when I'd get to one of her books but I do enjoy your new weely feature. I don't know who next week's author is, except to say that it is not any of those already guessed. I happen to know what they all look like. I hope someone gets it. And I hope it's someone I may have read.