Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Reader's Diary: New friends and more running


Just finished Bobby's 9th journal. So far, things are relatively calm here on First Earth, in 1937. Bobby's wondering what the turning point of this place is, and how it will affect his home, Second Earth. Is First Earth and Second Earth the same planet? Is Second Earth's past the same as First Earth's? And, more importantly, if he turns 15 on March 11 in 1937, would he still be 15 on March 11 back in his own time?

This is a bit of a slower section of the book, but not for long. Once Bobby and Spader meet First Earth's Traveler, a bellboy captain named Gunny, things start to get interesting again. Gunny is great, so far. He's this tall, older, trench coat-wearing black guy, and though he might appear a bit easy-going at first, deep down, he's a fighter. But I like his fatherly handling of the problems that Bobby and Spader run into when they first arrive; he's calm and collected, but his mind is obviously constantly going. He's pretty cool.

Gunny works at one of the most prestigious hotels in New York City, and has definitely earned the respect he gets. Even the village mobster-king knows his name. I have the feeling there's a lot more backstory to Gunny than first meets the eye....

And of course it wouldn't be a Pendragon book without a chase. This time, instead of horned grizzly bears or man-eating sharks, Bobby has to run from Al Capone / Edward G. Robinson impersonators with a thing for gunfire...even down the hallways of the hotel!

It's been a fun experience so far, and I'm ready for the next journal. I also can't wait to see more of Spader's character development, as well.

(Of course, who knows when I'll actually be able to read more.... College is back with full force...and I have four English classes! Heh heh.)

0 comments: