
So far, I’ve enjoyed Trouble, even though I never heard of it before I found it in my local library. We ran a drawing for a copy of it signed by the author, Gary D. Schmidt, and the synopsis intrigued me. So far, so good.
Well, not good for Henry Smith, as the title implies, but it’s well written, and quietly pulls you along through the psychological and emotional handlings of Henry and his family, without being an overly erratic sob story.
In a nutshell, Henry lives in Blythbury-by-the-Sea, an historical town which has never really known trouble. But Henry’s family suffers a horrible disaster when Henry’s older brother, Franklin, is struck in a hit-and-run accident, and all the calm they’ve ever known is shattered instantly.
Henry makes a terrific character, in that he is so very real. It's especially helpful to see life and tragedy through a young boy's eyes, written by a male author. It'd be a different narration entirely if it was written by a woman, and I appreciate seeing how the opposite sex views difficult situations.
At the moment, I'm particularly intrigued by the character of Black Dog, the beat-up stray that Henry saves from drowning during a storm. I'm thinking that the mangy mutt is going to be playing a very important and possibly saving role as the story continues.
The main premise is very real too: Trouble will come. But as the story's sure to conclude with, forgiveness and family will help you through it, no matter what. I'm really looking forward to finishing this book. I have the funny feeling it's going to wind up being a serious tear-jerker.
59. The Phantom Tollbooth
1 day ago

0 comments:
Post a Comment