Rules:
* Grab the book nearest you. Right now.
* Turn to page 56.
* Find the fifth sentence.
* Post that sentence (plus one or two others if you like) along with these instructions on your blog or (if you do not have your own blog) in the comments section of this blog.
*Post a link along with your post back to this blog.
* Don't dig for your favorite book, the coolest, the most intellectual. Use the CLOSEST.
Here's mine for this week, taken from none other than my British Lit textbook (you can find a lot of interesting reads in that tome, let me tell ya!). I particularly liked this passage when we were reading it for class; as I am still considered one of the "younger folk," I can second this motion to keep us youngsters out of trouble - and their method works!
The [noble] with his wife sits in the middle of the first table, at the highest part of the dining hall. This is the place of greatest honor, and from this table, which is placed crosswise to the other tables, the whole gathering can be seen. Two of the eldest sit with them, for they always sit in groups of four.... On both sides of them sit younger people, next to them older people again, and so through the hall thsoe of about the same age sit together, yet are mingled with others of a different age. The reason for this, they explain it, is that the dignity of the aged, and hte respect due them, may restrain the younger people from improper freedom of words and gestures, since nothing said or don at the table can pass unnoticed by the old, who are present on every side. ~~ Utopia by Thomas More


4 comments:
I've never read this and always meant to! Isn't that the way of the classics?
Most of the time! :)
I have been meaning to read this as well. I will have to try and get to it soon.
http://dogearedbooksonline.blogspot.com/2009/10/friday-56-god-of-small-things.html
I've seen this book mentioned in a lot of movies... maybe one day I will read it.
Post a Comment