if this book is any good. Wait for Me by An Na is an interesting experiment with perspectives and point of view, and while so far its a compelling story, I do have to read it with some anticipation to the content. So far it's been all right, but occasionally there's a curse word that kind of throws me off, so I may not finish. Still, it's a very original story, and pretty intriguing. I do love the point of view of the main character's little sister, Suna: she partially deaf, and considered practically worthless to her mother. Big sister, Mina, is more of a mother to little Suna than her mom, and Na creates a wonderfully delightful, and sympathetic, character in this precious, misunderstood little girl.
I am anxious to finish it, hopefully this weekend, since it's a short read. (And I must say: I do love the cover.)
From the back cover: Mina is the perfect daughter. Bound for Harvard, she's Honor Society president and a straight-A student, even as she works at her family's dry-cleaning store and helps care for her hearingimpaired little sister. On the outside, Mina does everything right. On the inside, Mina knows the truth. Her life is a lie. Then, the summer before her senior year, Mina meets someone to whom she cannot lie. Ysrael, a young migrant worker who dreams of becoming a musician, comes to work for her family, and asks Mina the one question that scares her the most. What does she want?


0 comments:
Post a Comment