Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Teaser Tuesday: To Kill a Mockingbird...


Teaser Tuesday's are hosted by the ever-incredible MizB of Should Be Reading! Stop over there today to particpate!
This week mine comes from the fabulously written book, To Kill a Mockingbird, which, in spite of my poking a light-hearted jab at it for the unique title last week, I am rather enjoying. Especially when I get to lines like this:
Jem gave a reasonable description of Boo: Boo was about six-and-a-half feet tall, judging from his tracks; he dined on raw squirrels and any cats he could catch, that's why his hands were bloodstained - if you ate an animal raw, you could never wash the blood off. There was a long jagged scar that ran across his face; what teeth he had were yellow and rotten; his eyes popped, and he drooled most of the time. ~~ pg. 16
May I just say: thank goodnes for the invention of the seimicolon! These two sentences could have just kept going and going with random semicolons to tie everything together and you still would be getting terrific descriptions with no periods! Ehem...yes, I am an English geek. But I don't care - it's worth being called a geek when you're reading great stuff like this!
EDIT: The beauty of the above paragraph: Not more than 2 hours after I wrote this post, I had my grammar class in which my professor had a glorious lecture moment on none other than...the beauty of semicolons.



I love being an English geek!

7 comments:

Heather said...

English geeks rule (even if it is difficult to find a "real" job)!

Excellent book. This was definitely one of my HS favorites. My teaser is HERE.

Heather G. said...

I love this book, one of my favorites and I love English, but not necessarily from the grammar side of things! But I'm still a geek too!

Here's mine: http://gofita.blogspot.com/2009/10/teaser-tuesdays-help.html

Brooke from The Bluestocking Guide said...

That is an interesting description. Here is mine

gautami tripathy said...

I loved this book which I read 20 years back!

Teaser Tuesdays: Yes, My Darling Daughter by Margaret Leroy

Kirsten said...

... I have a semicolon tattoo. :)

Beth said...

I just started listening to this book. Here is my teaser this week.

Lisa said...

Good teaser - Boo is not a handsome fella. And I join you in the semicolon love.

I've got a football teaser this week - and a giveaway!