Monday, November 9, 2009

In the Ranks: Wait for Me by An Na

Genre: young adult, drama, romance
Pages: 192
Rating / Class: Dinghy


This one, unfortunately, sunk. I lost interest about half-way through, and when I did finally pick it up again, I decided I didn't want to finish it. It probably would have been fine if I could have read it all in one sitting, but since I don't usually do that....

Wait for Me follows the disjointed and two-sided story of two sisters, Mina and Suna, both trapped in their own worlds, both longing for something more. When a young migrant worker named Ysrael enters their lives, both girls suddenly realize that there is potential in their humdrum lives, and all the hurts and lies that they live through each and every day.

While at first I thought that Na's writing style was neat, I soon got bored of it. Her jumping back and forth between the two girls just grew tiresome after a while. I did enjoy the characters; Mina, especially, seemed very, very real, and little Suna immediately pulls at your heartstrings with her unwavering forgiveness and sacrifice. Ysrael, too, was pretty full-fledged, and the dialogue was one of Na's specialities in this book.

The story itself is fine. I think I was just away from this book too long. I would recommend it for people who like quick books, light romances, or need to connect with a character who's struggling with too much expectation and feelings of entrapment and responsibility (aka. a typical teen or college student!).

0 comments: