Thursday, February 4, 2010

Different Horizons

Well my dears, it was bound to happen. Life has interferred.

Or intervened, if that's the better way of looking at it.

I'm venturing out onto a new adventure, a new horizon this year. I'm embarking on the journey towards becoming a teacher, an English teacher to be precise, and as such my days are full of textbooks, writing assignments, epic poems, and dozens of analyses. I think it's time I address these new areas and adventures of my life, the work that the Lord has been fashioning me for all my life.

Needless to say, I still love books; I'll always love books. I love them so much, I'm studying in order to have the opportunity to teach about them to hundreds of others. I'm also beginning to focus more on how I can achieve a book of my very own, an offering, as it were, back to the great God-given world of literature that has been a friend to me ever since I started reading at four years old.

I'm studying to be a teacher, a writer, a dreamer. As such, I have to sacrifice some of the fun and the hobby side of books and focus more on the development, the makeup of that world in which they reside. It means a lot more studying, a lot more long nights poring over Stephen Greenblatt and Nina Baym, a lot of off-campus and off-line legwork, a lot of paper-shuffling and pencil-pushing. A lot of growing up to do.

I'm ready for it, and I'm ready to start new things. I've loved being a member of the book blogging community, and I might poke my head in on the comments every now and again. But I don't want to just stay in the realm of snuggling and squeeing over books; I want to venture out into the vast world of exploring books, of seeing what motivations and worldviews and experiences are behind them and how they have shaped our world. God is in every part of His Creation, even literature, but man continuously finds new ways to distort what He looks like, and I'm going to do my part to show the lost what He really looks like, in my life, in my actions, and in the part of literature that I call my own. As I said in my first post of the year, "I'm ready for God's handiwork to shine in my life, and ready for learning, living, and love. My standards for myself are high, but I'll take each day as it comes - God has promised His presence and grace to those who seek Him. I intend to seek Him - adamantly."

I still to intend to do so. Thanks for the great fun, everyone. May you see Christ in your life and in the part of literature that you call your own.
With love always,
Veronika @ TrueHarbour

2 comments:

Carrie said...

Well, HAVE FUN! =D

Wendy said...

Hi there...I'm leaving you this comment because you gave us a link to your Roots read-a-long and now the blog for that seems to have disappeared. Are you still planning to do the read-a-long? And if so, where can we find the information about it? If I don't hear from you I'll assume you've canceled it and I will remove it from A Novel Challenge.