
Genre: juvenile fiction, humor
Pages: Book 1 - 224; Book 2 - 224; Book 3 - 217
First Published: 2007-2009
Class: Sloop
I can easily see why this series is so popular. It's just the life of any typical middle schooler...in a middle schooler's eyes.
Kinney may "just be" a cartoonist, but he's a master at his craft. He's created characters and situations that will be remembered for a long time, and offer bucketloads of laughter every time his books are [re]read.
And who says you have to be a kid to like them? For any adult who ever felt that "life just wasn't fair" as a kid, these books are sure to bring back memories, put you in stitches, and have your own kids begging to read them all.
One great thing about Kinney's books is that even though Greg Heffley, the "wimpy kid", is always trying to get out of whatever it is his parents tell him to do, he never gets away with it. Sure, he may think he does for a while...but it never ceases to take him by surprise when his parents, teacher, whoever - everybody except him - comes out on top. 
The only negative factor is that, since the books are through a child's eyes, often Greg's parents are cast in a very bad light, as either stupid, naive, embarrassing, etc. But, I still enjoyed this element in many ways because it's honestly what kids often think. They struggle understanding adults and get easily embarrassed with their parents. It's not biblically right, of course, but it is real life. If parents are concerned about this, they should read it with their kids and talk through Greg's difficulties with his parents. You might find out more about yourself and your kids than you expected.
In short, The Diary of a Wimpy Kid series is absolutely terrific; the best kids' series I've seen in a long time. I read one straight through each night until I finished!
59. The Phantom Tollbooth
1 day ago

1 comments:
All of this is good to know so I really appreciate your review of them! I see them everywhere but hadn't picked one up to look into it.
Post a Comment